Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Our Very Own Revolution

Hello friends,

Josh and I have made a lot of life changes in the past two weeks, and this post will hopefully shed some light on what we are doing and why! There are a couple of purposes of writing this: to keep you all updated on what the hell we're doing (there has been lots of wondering), and to document for myself (so I can look back and remember).

So, here goes!

1. I quit my job, and got a new job.
The motivation behind this was to leave my job before I got bitter and angry- I was working 50ish hours a week in addition to being on call 24/7. I miss the kiddos SO MUCH but am happy for a change of pace! I am now working at Imago Dei Community, a church in SE pdx that has a large focus on social justice and community service.

2. Josh quit his job, and will be exercising his entrepreneurial/inventor mind.
Josh has wanted to work for himself as long as I've known him, and this is a great opportunity for him to pursue that goal!

3. We're moving.
We live in a 1 bedroom condo and need a bigger space (in pdx) because....

4. We want to be foster parents.
We've been having this conversation for a couple of years, and finally can make it happen!

5. We are changing how we eat.
Less meat, more fruits and vegetables. If you are super duper interested read "The China Study" ;-).

Whew! We are really excited to be on this adventure together, and we feel amazingly lucky to be able to change our lifestyle at this point in our lives.

Thanks for listening, and I'll be posting updates on how this crazy experiment goes and some veggie-based recipes =).

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on following your dreams! We miss you! What area are you looking to move to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin! We are hoping to find a place to rent in NE. I miss you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. And what a perfect title. Goodluck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to do what you need to do! Bravo for seeing that.

    The best part is that 2 are seeing as 1.

    You are both very lucky to have each other. Cherish it.

    Love,Char

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, I'm moved by how deliberate, thoughtful and gracious (in its most full of grace sense) you and Josh are living your lives. More power to you!

    Love,
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you guys. Wish we could be there to experience it all with you, but we will be praying that everything goes smoothly.

    Hugs,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen and Josh-
    Do what you love and the rest will follow. You are young, so make changes and go for your dreams.
    Keep us posted with the new address,
    Love,
    Sandy and Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen and Josh - congratulations. Jen, when your brother-in-law, Matthew was only 2 I quit my teaching job for the same reasons you listed and followed my entrepreneurial bent like Josh is doing. I did not want to be 5, 10 or 20 years down the road with regrets over not having taken the plunge that you two are taking now. Well done - there is a lot you can do when you are united together in following the same goals.
    DAve Pettigrew

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the kind words! It means a lot to us to know there are so many people supporting us, and makes this whole process a little less scary =).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful plans, Jen. I wish you both success in following your dreams. You have the power of love to help change many lives for the better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm all on board with the first 4, but that 5th one? You guys are crazy :)

    Come over for dinner sometime. After we're back in the country...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so proud of your bold decisions, and excited for the journey that you two are about to embark on! I will be praying that God continues to guide your decisions and way as you head down this path.

    In regards to the newly found vegetarian diet - you go! I just finished reading 'Eating Animals', about the 3rd book that has convinced me to eat less and less meat...would love to chat sometime if you want about recipe books, good/wholesome/humane local meat sources (if you are still eating some meat), etc.

    ReplyDelete