Sunday, October 3, 2010

And the pursuit of happiness.

Around this time last year, with Josh's prompting, I decided to exercise my right to happiness. Since then, I've exercised the shit out of that right! Just kidding. It's been a journey filled with ups and downs, and I've learned about myself.

In no way am I advocating for the idea that "it's all about you" or that happiness is the most important thing in life, but sometimes doing a couple little things a day can really improve your mood and outlook. For me, it also helps keep things in perspective.

Here's my list of ways I pursue happiness (and pictures of some of my favorite things):
1. Greet and pet Tia first thing when I get home
2. When Josh gets home, I stop what I'm doing and hug him and make eye contact
3. Sit on my porch and drink a glass of wine when I get home from work
4. Buy fancy cheese and eat a small piece a day (especially good with that glass of wine!)
5. See Bubbie, even if it means cancelling plans with humans
6. Read a book in the park before the sun goes down
7. Call or get together with a friend
8. Write a thank you note
9. Organize something
10. Take a long time to cook something extra special
11. Take a day long road trip

12. Get outside and sit somewhere quiet

13. Draw or write a poem
14. Pick or buy flowers and put them on my table

What about you? In what small ways do you pause and enjoy something?

4 comments:

  1. I pause to enjoy coffee and to read in the mornings, and take long hot showers almost daily. Lovely post, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really pausing, but "playing dress-up" and dancing in front of the mirror...
    (where is the "how to" post anonymously....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. making a check list, so I can get the urgent off my plate and into a reasonable time frame

    Pot a plant, shop for one, or look at the ones I have.

    pet my little creature..she is a cat/dog with sharp nails!!!

    go for a motorcycle ride.

    drink a beer, wine doesn't work in my stomach.

    put a few check marks on the little boxes on my "TO-DO" list (I love to finish things!!!

    volunteer for the Nursery at church so I can avoid the sermon, and hold little babies. he-he-he

    thanks for letting me share too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like your list jen :). one of my favorite things to do just for myself is to go lay in bed with a magazine. i could spend hours doing that!

    ReplyDelete