Friday, April 29, 2011

Art Project

This is the story of how I came to do an art project:

Josh: Graham and Mandi invited us over to dinner.
Jen: Yum.
Josh: It's art project night so bring an art project.
Jen: !@#$%^&*&^%$##

I appreciate art. I admire artists. I am secretly (or not so secretly) jealous of people who can create beautiful things. But, I've never had much success with the dreaded "art project"; this probably started with my attempt as a 5 year old to make an angel for the Christmas tree out of a toilet paper roll (what adult in my life thought that was a confidence-boosting art project anyway?!).

So, when Josh announced that it was art project night at our super creative friends' house I just about caught a deathly cold and needed to stay home for the night. Instead I mustered up all my courage, bought a $12 picture frame at Ikea, Googled "how to clean an old painting" (answer from the interwebs: DON'T DO THIS IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE), rolled my eyes, turned off my computer, threw some q-tips and cotton balls in a baggie, and threw them in my purse along with a bottle of Dr Bronner's magic soap.

After a lovely dinner it was art project time. This was my art project: cleaning and re-framing an old painting that had been in my family for a couple of generations. The painting was done by my great great uncle in Spain and depicts a flamenco dancer performing in a plaza. It's not valuable, but has sentimental value to me since I remember it in my grandparents' house when I was a kid.

I broke the old frame off (it was literally nailed to the painting, which was done on wood) and got started. Contrary to all the advice on the internet I dipped a q-tip directly into the soap and started cleaning (yes, I'm rocking a horse t-shirt).


See the line on her skirt where it's partially cleaned?!



Ta-da!



It looks great in the frame, but we didn't get any pictures of it and I am currently camera-less. I am so happy that I tried this and that it worked! Check out Mandi's blog to see her super-creative self: mandimakes.blogspot.com. Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by an art project success?

2 comments:

  1. This looks super cool in the frame. The difference is even more than the pictures show, its really transformed. Good job Jen! :-)

    P.S. keep doing art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.... I love this post so much, mostly because I can really relate to the *^(*%$%## part of it at the mention of art projects. It doesn't help that people are always thinking that because I sing well I must also be gifted in other artistic endeavors. I think, with very rare exception, the only time I have been content with an art piece is when it came out completely differently than what I had in mind.

    The best thing that anyone ever told me about art is that it takes gobs of courage. Boy, do I get that!

    I love that painting, by the way, I would totally hang it somewhere. Kudos to your uncle.

    ReplyDelete